Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Saw this video on endgadget. Looks impressive.

Any thoughts?

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
It's a great looking device. Isn't it powered by MeeGo? Which is on the way out? How's the dev support going to be for such a device?

Strikes me as more of a declaration of the aesthetic sensibilities of Nokia at this time rather than a device that I would actually want to purchase. Sort of a 'Hey look how awesome W7 phones will look when we finally start cranking them out.'.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
If Nokia had pushed this hard a year ago with devices like this running it, android would have a very serious contender. Too bad for an open OS my choices are limited to android only..which sucks as its not for me.

WebOS is strangled by HP, and Meego is dying thanks to Nokia.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
It's a great looking device. Isn't it powered by MeeGo? Which is on the way out? How's the dev support going to be for such a device?

Strikes me as more of a declaration of the aesthetic sensibilities of Nokia at this time rather than a device that I would actually want to purchase. Sort of a 'Hey look how awesome W7 phones will look when we finally start cranking them out.'.

MeeGo isn't on the way out, Symbian is.

MeeGo will coexist with WP7 phones as a 'developer' platform, the N9 being the more consumer-oriented of the two they announced (the other being the keyboard-equipped N950).

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Looks like a pretty nice phone, I just think the MeeGo OS is way to late to the game to be a serious contender. There are already 3 major ones out there that cater to most of the market, is there really room for a fourth? If it could boot Android or WP7 though, that would make for a sexy phone.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
MeeGo isn't on the way out, Symbian is.

MeeGo will coexist with WP7 phones as a 'developer' platform, the N9 being the more consumer-oriented of the two they announced (the other being the keyboard-equipped N950).

Really? It's my impression that Elop has basically written of MeeGo. My understanding that this is basically the first and last MeeGo equipped device from Nokia.

Is Nokia actually planning on continuing to support MeeGo in other forms? Or is MeeGo just going to go on as some kind of open source platform w/o Nokia support?

Perhaps I misunderstood? Thanks for any details. :)

hamletpri

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
Thoughts on N9

I'm really liking the look of this new Nokia phone, it seems really cool and the inclusion of Meego is I reckon, interesting, however nice at the same time. I did think it would be WP7 though... An author at my site, who is quite into all of this Nokia stuff has just posted his full thoughts on the new N9 here, if you'd like to check it out.:)

PlatinuM195

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2009
The hardware looks great. If the OS is polished, it has some solid base apps and some decent 3rd party apps then I'm sold.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Love the design and software elegance of the N9. Its just a damn shame that it is D.O.A. since Nokia is ditching Meego for WP7 so this phone will never receive a single update in the future :(

kdarling

macrumors P6
Not everyone does, but personally I like the Meego Tablet UI as well.

Very simple and usable, with a carousel of panels for video, photo, social, contact, news, etc topics. Not for me, but for people like my mother, and for kids. Or for a kitchen status computer.

--

As for the N9, I like its concept of NO interface buttons at all, just swipes from the edges (*). Makes it easier to get to basic views without paying extra attention.

(*) The RIM Playbook tablet has a similar concept of no buttons. Swipe up for main menu, swipe down for app menu. Swipe left-right for next app.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Never in a million years will I ever buy another Nokia a phone. My last nokia was a E71 the experience was so bad using it I can't bear to even hear the word Nokia, Physical Qwerty Keyboard or E71.

And also...this is an iphone forum, seriously, no one hear really cares about Nokia or Andrioid or WP7 or any other mobile device except for Apple. (Coming from a non apple-fanboy, I have an Alienware laptop).

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Really? It's my impression that Elop has basically written of MeeGo. My understanding that this is basically the first and last MeeGo equipped device from Nokia.

Is Nokia actually planning on continuing to support MeeGo in other forms? Or is MeeGo just going to go on as some kind of open source platform w/o Nokia support?

Perhaps I misunderstood? Thanks for any details. :)

If I understand it correctly, Nokia decided to abandon MeeGo several months ago but then rebounded and said that they would release devices for the OS later on. Thus the N9 and N950.

"Under the new strategy, MeeGo becomes an open-source, mobile operating system project. MeeGo will place increased emphasis on longer-term market exploration of next-generation devices, platforms and user experiences. Nokia still plans to ship a MeeGo-related product later this year."

That was in a press release released in February.

I think Nokia's going to continue releasing MeeGo devices but rely on the community to provide support and updates, since they don't plan for the average Joe to buy these devices (they want them to buy a Windows Phone 7 device, which they will support)

Basically:
Symbian will continue to ship until next year or something like that, before being completely replaced by WP7 as the OS of choice for their consumer-oriented devices.
MeeGo devices will continue to be released by Nokia but with little official support.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Never in a million years will I ever buy another Nokia a phone. My last nokia was a E71 the experience was so bad using it I can't bear to even hear the word Nokia, Physical Qwerty Keyboard or E71.

And also...this is an iphone forum, seriously, no one hear really cares about Nokia or Andrioid or WP7 or any other mobile device except for Apple. (Coming from a non apple-fanboy, I have an Alienware laptop).

Since when was competition (and discussion of competition) a bad thing?

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I like it. MeeGo is a mix of WP7 hub section, Android/iOS in the second part, and the Xperia X1's tiles. Nokia jumped the ship on MeeGo too soon to stick with WP7.

I guarantee Apple and Google will rip-off that animation aspect where you can swipe your finger while a video is playing to bring back the homescreen.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Nokia N9 - Forget Android

Nokia announced a couple of days ago their MeeGo phone, Nokia N9.

So far I've been super impressed by it. The design is awesome, the software is powerful. Unlike Android(even with dual cores), this does not lag.

The body is made from polycarbonate, so the colour goes all the way, if you scratch it, there is no metal silver to be revealed under it.

The screen is oval to allow for easy gestures.

It has no buttons on the front at all.

Has Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, all of that deeply integrated, free offline Nokia Maps navigation, it has the best and the most powerful multitasking implementation of any OS.

n9-c_med.jpg

n9-j.jpg
n9-i.jpg
n9-h.jpg
n9-b.jpg
n9-d.jpg
n9-f.jpg
n9-g.jpg

Ad,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfE3B6L-Otw&feature=player_embedded#at=15

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I am super impressed by the N9 hardware and Meego software. Too bad its dead on arrival and won't get a single update anymore since Nokia is dumping it for WP7 :(

My thread is better, it has pictures!

So post your pictures in that thread ;)

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
I agree that it is a sexy phone with a nice looking UI, but its too bad MeeGo is pretty much going to be DOA. They are releasing a WP7 version, though.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Nokia announced a couple of days ago their MeeGo phone, Nokia N9.

So far I've been super impressed by it. The design is awesome, the software is powerful. Unlike Android(even with dual cores), this does not lag.

The body is made from polycarbonate, so the colour goes all the way, if you scratch it, there is no metal silver to be revealed under it.

The screen is oval to allow for easy gestures.

It has no buttons on the front at all.

Has Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, all of that deeply integrated, free offline Nokia Maps navigation, it has the best and the most powerful multitasking implementation of any OS.

n9-j.jpg
n9-i.jpg
n9-h.jpg
n9-b.jpg
n9-d.jpg
n9-f.jpg
n9-g.jpg

Ad,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfE3B6L-Otw&feature=player_embedded#at=15

I guess your not familiar with the shape of "oval". That looks just like any other screen shape. However, i like Nokia. Thay make good phones that just work ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.