WWII M1916 holster and shoulder strap?

digi-shots

A friend of mine was thinking of selling this holster and wanted my opinion on it.  It’s a m1916 shoulder holster from WWII.

The front is marked C.G.M.D. 1942 E.N.S. and  the letters CN on the back.

Any idea of value on this and which troops used them.

Thanks!

7FB7DDCF-EC2F-4548-8948-4C559C6A1B69.jpeg

542ABD9B-99D8-4CED-8967-C9333BA14BDA.jpeg

D8460C68-B477-458A-B8CF-B61534F42B19.jpeg

EB7BE832-CD22-465C-AF89-245D1856631D.jpeg

0FED3C92-8AA2-4F19-9DAF-08E5AE09DE99.jpeg

TheGrayGhost

The hanger rig makes this an MP item.  It’s in very good original condition and uncommon.  Not up on my values, so can’t comment there.

Charlie Flick

Hello Linda:

What you have there is a "Strap, Shoulder, Leather, M.P."  It was manufactured at the J.Q.M.D. or the Jeffersonville Quartermaster Depot located at Jeffersonville, Indiana.  The MP's leather belt would fit through the belt loop.  ENS and CN were both inspectors.  The same strap was manufactured in large numbers post-war for occupation duties and, later, in black up into the 1970s.  A WW2 dated example is more desirable.

Seen below is a carton of these same unissued straps in my collection.

On a value I would look at the rig in this way.  The M1916 holster there is the major value item.  I could not make out a maker name or date but in that kind of pretty good shape I would expect to see it sell for $75 to $100, and more if it is a scarce maker.  In my experience the should straps don't seem to bring much money as their are not a combat item and are mostly of interest to Military Police collectors.   I would expect your strap to sell at a show at $30-40.

I hope that helps you .

Regards,

Charlie

Leather Shoulder Strap for MP box JQMD.jpg

Thanks, Charlie…. I think he had it priced along those lines but it was group deal… a Berns Martin shoulder rig for a snub nose revolver, a private purchase WWI cavalry holster and this one.

I still haven’t quite figured out the London made private purchase swivel holster.  A 1911 will not fit inside because of a leather block. It takes something with a thin barrel without a heavy slide and a very rounded trigger guard.  I was told it was for a Webley auto loader.  I was hoping it might be for a Luger (American Luger trial..?)