• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is venomous, has thirty legs, and was hiding inside my closet? [w/pics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

house_centipede.jpg

Yes, it's Scutigera Coleoptrata, better known as the house centipede.

Some fun facts about the house centipede from Wikipedia.com:

-The house centipede, when fully grown, has an average of 17 pairs of very long, delicate legs and a rigid body, which enables it to run with surprising speed up walls and along ceilings and floors.

-House centipedes lay their eggs in the spring. In a laboratory experiment of 24 house centipedes, an average of 63 and a maximum of 151 eggs were laid.

-House centipedes feed on spiders, bedbugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish and other household pests. They kill their prey by injecting venom through their fangs.

-The most effective way of immediately eliminating a centipede is with a vacuum, as centipedes are fast-moving and sporadic targets. Freezing with canned air also immobilizes them for easy disposal.

-Because they eat household pests, house centipedes are considered among the most beneficial creatures that inhabit human dwellings, but because of their alarming appearance, frightening speed, and painful bite, few homeowners are willing to share a home with them.

-In Japan, these creatures are referred to as gejigeji (ゲジゲジ, gejigeji) and celebrate a level of popularity. They can often be seen for sale in pet stores.

There are a ton of these things in the place I'm staying this summer, though normally I try to kill them before they get that big. Immediately after taking the picture, I wiped out that one by delivering extreme blunt force trauma.

-Because they eat household pests, house centipedes are considered among the most beneficial creatures that inhabit human dwellings, but because of their alarming appearance, frightening speed, and painful bite, few homeowners are willing to share a home with them.

I read this like 8 times, I kept reading pets. I'm thinking "how the **** is this beneficial"?

Nearly everytime I turn on my bedroom light I'm treated to one of these guys scurrying across the floor. I've killed much bigger than the one in the OP. They're creepy as ****. Even after you kill them, their legs keep on twitching.

tokkun

It wasn't doing its job. Just three days ago, I was playing Guitar Hero and a stag beetle nearly flew down the back of my shirt.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
-House centipedes feed on spiders, bedbugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish and other household pests. They kill their prey by injecting venom through their fangs.
I captured one last year with a plastic cup, went to search for a book so I could put it under the cup in order to observe the bug. When I came back, the bug melted a hole in the ****ing cup and escaped!!! Seems that their venom is no joke.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Happy to live in Canada. I never even saw a cockroach (not saying they don't exist around here but you get the idea).

Joates

Banned
They are creepy, but the fact that they kill tons of other creepy shit and I rarely see them, I usually try to leave it alone unless its in my room or something like that.

That said, I just killed one two days ago because it was running across my living room.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Ether_Snake said:
Happy to live in Canada. I never even saw a cockroach (not saying they don't exist around here but you get the idea).
I live in Montreal

Saitou

Banned
Vic said:
I captured one last year with a plastic cup, went to search for an book so I could put it under the cup in order to observe the bug. When I came back, the bug melted a hole in the ****ing cup and escaped!!! Seems that their venom is no joke.
Am I the only one to find this extremely alarming?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I dont care WHAT other pests this thing eats, Id still want to nuke it, ugly ****ing piece of shit.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
That's one heck of a detailed picture you got of it.

I live in Canada too, but in maybe 5 or 6 years of living in this house, I've only seen maybe two. They're freaky looking, but I didn't know they ate pests. So they're kind of like spiders... but they also eat spiders? :p

Vic said:
I captured one last year with a plastic cup, went to search for an book so I could put it under the cup in order to observe the bug. When I came back, the bug melted a hole in the ****ing cup and escaped!!! Seems that their venom is no joke.
O_O Holy shit.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I too live in Canada (Ottawa to be precise) and have never had cockroaches in any of our houses that we lived in. We even had some mice (accidentally crushed a baby mouse by stepping on it without knowing), but no cockroaches.

Spiders are really common here and that's probably why there aren't any roaches. If I find a spider, I usually just capture it and let it go outside. If I ever saw a house centipede on the other hand, I'd use anything at my disposal to kill it, and then I'd probably call in an exterminator to make sure there aren't any more of em, centipedes are one of the few bugs I can't stand.

Aaron

Glad I only get spiders around here... lots and lots of spiders. I personally don't mind spiders at all, though their webs sometimes get in the way. Only bug I won't kill on first sight.

Doytch

Vic said:
I live in Montreal

Ohhkay, Montreal is off the list of places to move to. Though dropping french after grade 9 might have already crossed it off the list for me. :lol

Mugen

Banned
Once I woke up in the morning and my upper lip felt kinda weird. I felt it and it was hairy which was surprising because I shaved last night and to my horror I lifted up a big ass centipede.

Canada has lots of mosquitos, but the bugs there are pretty small. Japan is like living in the ****ing Temple of Doom, especially if you're near any nature/wilderness. Fist sized cockroaches crawling out of the dishes in your sink, grasshoppers as big as a mouse, cellphone sized beetles flying past your head, angry wasps swarming you when you walk outside in the morning because they felt entitled to build a wasp next to your front door overnight, it's nuts.

I haven't seen any of these house centipede things though, but they look pretty damn freaky. But I get the "beneficial" angle - I leave the local spiders alone for the same reason; if they're eating all the other bugs they're doing me a favour.

You get lots of cool little lizards crawling around too, like they'll be living in vending machines & stuff.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
centipedes are scary... just because they can go like 10 kph

scares the shit out of me every time

i'm gonna go pick up like 10 glue traps now... thanks a lot mugen

Sean

Banned
I see a bunch of these in my apartment. They come up the pipes from the basement or something. Things are creepy as hell and pretty much impossible to kill since they run away so damn fast.

J2 Cool

I have those things. My room's in a basement. Computer against the cement wall. I see one of those crawl across every once in awhile. At which point I very cautiously stay away from my desk, rolling the seat away and using just one hand for the mouse. At least for the next 10 minutes.

GhaleonEB

I had one between two and three inches drop out of a towel I was about to dry myself with earlier this week. I was *this* close to rubbing that thing all over myself.

Scary critters.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
I see one of these bastards every once in a while, they are pretty hard as hell to kill and when you think you got them cornered they friggin disappear. I've lived all over Toronto and its suburbs and I don't think I have lived in a house that didn't have them. Oh well at least we don't have any roaches.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
LiveFromKyoto said:
Canada has lots of mosquitos, but the bugs there are pretty small. Japan is like living in the ****ing Temple of Doom, especially if you're near any nature/wilderness. Fist sized cockroaches crawling out of the dishes in your sink, grasshoppers as big as a mouse, cellphone sized beetles flying past your head, angry wasps swarming you when you walk outside in the morning because they felt entitled to build a wasp next to your front door overnight, it's nuts.

I haven't seen any of these house centipede things though, but they look pretty damn freaky. But I get the "beneficial" angle - I leave the local spiders alone for the same reason; if they're eating all the other bugs they're doing me a favour.

You get lots of cool little lizards crawling around too, like they'll be living in vending machines & stuff.
It's like real life D&D!

Wollan

There's not too much bugs in Norway thanks to the climate so I haven't spend too much time with these things but not long ago (here in Australia) I was putting on one of my socks when I felt something hard inside. I was thinking it was a rock or something and emptied it and out came this big black beetle. :lol Creepy.

Shazapp

At my last apartment, I used to have those all the time. I used to kill them until I read that they eat silverfish, which I used to get a lot of as well. I had a little food chain going, apparently.

They're creepy, but there are worse things you can have...like cockroaches.

And, no, I don't live there anymore.

zon

Mugen said:
Once I woke up in the morning and my upper lip felt kinda weird. I felt it and it was hairy which was surprising because I shaved last night and to my horror I lifted up a big ass centipede.

"Why, good morning Sir!"

:lol

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
****ing hell, that's disgusting. I'd scream like a girl and climb something if I saw that thing running around the floor while puking acid venom. It's not as disgusting as the water bug though.

Ginko

Where do you guys live? Shit that's ****ing insane.
I once had termites in my apartment and I ****ing turned it to an experiment lab from all the stuff I used.

Roi

;(

I have snails in my room (once in a few months). I haven't got any idea where they come from!

Kevtones

I swear, every ****ing time its the same thing. DON'T CLICK KEVIN, DON'T ****ING CLICK. B-b-b-b-b-b-but maybe its a its a funny meme or 15 hot chicks getting orgified in a GAFFER closet, alas, its the Scutigera. The dreaded Scuti. I mean seriously. Every one of these threads is frightening, and then they become pants-shittingly freaky once clock-spider shows up. I mean shit. ****. Every time. Why are they soOoooo alluring?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Kevtones said:
I swear, every ****ing time its the same thing. DON'T CLICK KEVIN, DON'T ****ING CLICK. B-b-b-b-b-b-but maybe its a its a funny meme or 15 hot chicks getting orgified in a GAFFER closet, alas, its the Scutigera. The dreaded Scuti. I mean seriously. Every one of these threads is frightening, and then they become pants-shittingly freaky once clock-spider shows up. I mean shit. ****. Every time. Why are they soOoooo alluring?

I'm sure 95% of the people here on GAF thinks like this, and yet we continue going into these damn threads.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Fix The Scientist said:
I suspect clock spider is on his way.
No! Keep that picture away from this thread and any other thread! That picture should be banned.

Kevtones

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm sure 95% of the people here on GAF thinks like this, and yet we continue going into these damn threads.

I've gotten better at not looking at gore/shock stuff, but the whole way-too-many-legged insects threads seem more enticing then ever :(

blame space said:
Nearly everytime I turn on my bedroom light I'm treated to one of these guys scurrying across the floor. I've killed much bigger than the one in the OP. They're creepy as ****. Even after you kill them, their legs keep on twitching.

where are you guys located?

I never seen anything like this around here Northeast US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom