where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

All Boards   Search   Post A Topic 
Technical Discussions
Angel
Angel
19:47 Apr-29-2019
https://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?msgID=74718#74718

T-joint with backing metal strip - phantom signal during ultrasonic test.

T-joint with backing metal strip - phantom signal during ultrasonic test.
How backing metal strip can generate phantom signal?

Sponsored

Industrial X-ray inspection

Hamamatsu offers a full line of high-precision X-ray sources and detectors for X-ray inspection of
electronic components and industrial products; as well as for a wide range of applications, such as automotive inspection, aerospace / space, 3D metal printing and industrial CT. We also offer low energy X-ray sources to meet needs in food processing and packaging.

Mario Talarico
NDT Inspector, Italy, Joined May 2010,

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
23:25 Apr-29-2019
https://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?msgID=74719#74719

Re: T-joint with backing metal strip - phantom signal during ultrasonic test.
In Reply to Angel at 19:47 Apr-29-2019 (Opening).

Angel,
phantom signals are generated by bad regulation of repetion rate and long paths.

The term is not suitable for the description of signals produced exclusively by geometry.

However if you are referring to geometric signals, see previous posts related to this configuration weld and also welds in general.
greetings
mario

Clair D'El Rei
NDT Inspector, I am looking for a new opportunity in the labor market and I accept proposals from other countries i, Brazil, Joined Feb 2019,

Clair D'El Rei

NDT Inspector,
I am looking for a new opportunity in the labor market and I accept proposals from other countries i,
Brazil,
Joined Feb 2019
15:57 Apr-30-2019
https://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?msgID=74725#74725

In Reply to Angel at 19:47 Apr-29-2019 (Opening).

zoom image
[zoom]

You have to send the configuration of the bevel, usually backing metal are placed in joints with penetration in only one side, on quina and tuppo joints. But if there is a melting between the melting puddle and the backing metal, there will be reflections beyond the base metal and they are not phantom echoes.

Angel
Angel
18:02 Apr-30-2019
https://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?msgID=74726#74726

In Reply to Clair D'El Rei at 15:57 Apr-30-2019 .

Thanks for replies
My English isn't good.
I read that it is possible to make a mistake and evaluate such a joint as a lack of penetration and I don't understand it. I don't know if phantom signal is a good term for this situation.
What Mario wrote about it , this is definitely phantom signal. My case, I don't know what name is the most properly

Mario Talarico

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
00:08 May-01-2019
https://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?msgID=74728#74728

In Reply to Angel at 18:02 Apr-30-2019 .

Angel,
the pulse repetition rate (PRF) must be set low enough to allow time for the most distant echoes
to return before sending the next impulse. If the signal is produced by an interference of this type, just touch up the value set in the PRF to make the signal disappear. Check your basic: this topic is well treated.
Instead the geometry signals are an inevitable physical circumstance, to be recognized and circumvented.
Geometrical indications in a joint with backing are the same as for the configuration without backing, with the addition of any reflections coming from the edges or irregularities of the backing. The reflections from the backing should not be confused with presumed indications of defect. It is therefore sufficient to do some additional checks.
I hope this can direct you: knowing that something can be done will help us do it.
Greetings
Mario

Angel
Angel
08:55 May-01-2019
https://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?msgID=74729#74729

In Reply to Mario Talarico at 00:08 May-01-2019 .

Let's go to the sketch sent by Clair D'El Rei.
Sygnał z grani jest głębiej od grubości płyty.
What cause signal before then signal from the thickness of the plate?
The first signal is caused by the transformation of the transverse wave into the longitudinal one and so returns faster to the transducer?

Mario Talarico

Mario Talarico

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined May 2010
21:01 May-01-2019
https://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?msgID=74736#74736

In Reply to Angel at 08:55 May-01-2019 .

Angel,
Clair D'El Rei's sketch is a butt weld, not a T.Joint!

Assuming you are scanning a 1/2 v joint from the beveled side, it must be definitely clear that if the T-Joint has been welded without defects in root, whatever happens to the beam entering the backing, its path will always be greater than that produced by a plate thickness. This signal can get confused with signals inside the thickness detected in rebond scanning, ..... but only in rebond! This is the only small confusion that backing can bring, and therefore to be verified, for the rest the usual rules of a non-backing joint apply.

I also want to point out that, in the case of a T-Joint with backing, normally ½ V, all signals with a path lower than those produced by a thickness must be considered defects and never attributable to the geometry of the root, as could happen instead in the case of a butt-weld.

Of course we are all out to make mistakes and the chances that the path is shorter than the thickness is a false call are unfortunately still possible.

To try adding something, I think, you should add more information and maybe a sketch. 1) Beveled side: thickness; flat or curved surface and - if curved - concave or convex; accessibility back; angle, frequence and probe size. 2) Not-beveled side: as above, in addition, does this plate continue after the root so that you can do two angled opposite scans or end up on par with the root? 3) Is the indication detected directly, before the first leg, or in rebond?

Greetings
Mario

Angel
Angel
21:39 May-01-2019
https://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?msgID=74738#74738

In Reply to Mario Talarico at 21:01 May-01-2019 .

Of course I know that the weld on the sketch is a butt weld.
The matter we are discussing is hypothetical. I just read about the problems in the interpretation of signals with joint with backing metal strip. I dont understend how can confuse "true" signal with "false" signal

Sponsored

HPX-DR 3543 PE Non-Glass, Large Format Detector

The HPX-DR 3543 PE Non-Glass detector incorporates a tougher material instead of glass for maxim
um durability against the rigors of NDT field work. It virtually eliminates costly repairs for broken glass and comes with a 2-Year warranty and a free loaner (US and Canada) so you can reduce downtime and the expense of purchasing redundant detectors.

Product Spotlight

OEM Ultrasonic opBox ver 2.3! OEM Ultrasonic device with integrated 2-channel pulser&receiver.

The opBox family are high-performance, precise, UT devices, designed for use in ultrasonic NDT sys
tems, but also suitable for other measurements. Due to their flexibility and easy to use sw, opBoxes are ideal for testing: weld inspection for cracks and volume defects soldered and coated joints, wall, shafts, rods, tubes and sheets plastics or fibre or any ultrasonic material characterization.

On Demand Webinar: Innovative Solution for Corrosion Inspection of Elbow Piping

On demand webinar discussing key challenges of pipe elbow inspections and an innovative, simple to
use solution that delivers high resolution inspections with a coupling gel or thin film of water. With a powerful software platform, plotting and analyzing data is intuitive. The webinar will feature a hands-on demonstration applying actual inspection data. View and download this webinar anytime.

SYSTEMS FOR MAGNETIC PARTICLE CRACK DETECTION

The combined magnetic particle crack detection allows the display of arbitrarily oriented surface
cracks in iron, cast iron and ferromagnetic steel. With stationary testing machines, the test is performed inside the machine.

PAUT Probes

Typical Phased Array probes have frequencies between 1MHz and 20MHz and the number of wafers is 10
to 128. M2 Electronics offers customers conventionally ultrasound probes and the ability to provide high-precision Phased Array Ultrasound Probes of up to 256 wafers. We can also customize the probe for our customers to meet the specific application requirements of the user.

Subscribe

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website.
More Info
Accept
this is debug window