Another Swordfish question - the color of code letters in 860 Sq.

JWM

Hi,

The Dutch Decals produces decals fro Swordfish Mk II from 860 (Dutch) FAA Squadron. They provide orange code letters.

48540_zrzut-ekranu-2022-10-7-o-14-10-19.

However, the restored Swordfish flying in Dutch colors has them dark grey (if I see it correctly) . Moreover, that restored machine looks like having sky undersides and white only sides of fuselage! 

https://www.keymilitary.com/article/superb-stringbag

There are photos of machines from 860 Squadron

https://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=655:fairey-swordfish-uk&catid=87&lang=en&limitstart=1&Itemid=549

The wartime photos for me could be interpreted as having white on lower wing (the upper is on some machines black)

Any comment son this?

Regards

J-W

Hello, J-W

Orange letters for Dutch Swordfish aircraft sound perfectly plausible to me. At one time 860 Sqn. had 92 aircraft at strength and at such a number it is little wonder markings varied somewhat. Here is a photo from a Crowood book about Swordfish and Albacore, which one can also find on this IPMS Nederland webpage:

swordfish-ops-nationaalarchief-2.jpg

Also, lower surfaces of those Swordfish aircraft on WW II photos do not look light blue and the same goes for the restored aircraft. They all look white to my eyes. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1

IMHO this difference in the optical perception of the Swordfish lower and side surfaces is not the result of a difference in colour but a difference in gloss (after all, colour is only an impression perceived by the eye). All lower surfaces in this FAA and Coastal Command scheme were glossy, and the fuselage sides and vertical tail were matte. But they were all equally white.

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 1