Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

specops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
i need some help to know if this headunit for my car will be compatible to hook up my iphone with the ipod connnection at the bottom of the phone so i can charge/play music/ use phone with this headunit.

the model of the headunit is Pioneer DEH-P3900MP

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP? will it work?

j5uh

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
i need some help to know if this headunit for my car will be compatible to hook up my iphone with the ipod connnection at the bottom of the phone so i can charge/play music/ use phone with this headunit.

the model of the headunit is Pioneer DEH-P3900MP

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP? will it work?

hey, i have the pioneer headunit too.
i used my ipod 4th gen. just fine but when i plug in my iphone, it says ipod as if it was connecting fine, but it won't actually sync up. So none of the controling of the iphone from the head unit works BUT i audio plays just fine.

All i have to do is control the music from the phone itself instead of using the head units navigation. Kinda sucks but totally doable. =) hope this helps

forgot to mention... you can't control the volume from the phoone but you can adjust it on the head unit which is a good thing.

specops

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
hey, i have the pioneer headunit too.
i used my ipod 4th gen. just fine but when i plug in my iphone, it says ipod as if it was connecting fine, but it won't actually sync up. So none of the controling of the iphone from the head unit works BUT i audio plays just fine.

All i have to do is control the music from the phone itself instead of using the head units navigation. Kinda sucks but totally doable. =) hope this helps

forgot to mention... you can't control the volume from the phoone but you can adjust it on the head unit which is a good thing.
wait i dont completely understand... So what connection do you use to play music with? the aux input or the actual ipod connector that plugs into the bottom of the phone? and do you have the same pioneer headunit or a different one?

j5uh

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
wait i dont completely understand... So what connection do you use to play music with? the aux input or the actual ipod connector that plugs into the bottom of the phone? and do you have the same pioneer headunit or a different one?

i use the actual ipod connector that pioneer sells to connect your ipod.

i have a similar model headunit from pioneer. its exactly the same i think.

j5uh

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
k thanks for the help

ok I change my statement . Today my headunit started recognizing the phone. Never did it before. But I could use through the headunit just like a regular iPod. Showed titles etc. I could control volume, read the title of song eetc. So weird but it works now.

So my conclusion is that when I start up the iPod interface in the phone and than plug it into the headunit it works correctly but when I jsut plug the pho e up without going to the iPod screen on the phone, it doesn't function correctly. I will test some more and let u know what else I find out.

j5uh

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
ok, here's my conclusion. =)

When I plug in the phone without going into any ipod menus, the headunit will not detect the ipod.
But controlling the pause, play, stop, next and back all work but the display on the headunit doesn't show any titles or track names etc.

When I, for example, go into my podcast playlist and press play, pause it, and connect the wire to the headunit, the headunit detects it just fine. Works like as if it was a regular ipod with all features working.

photodesignch

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2007
ok, here's my conclusion. =)

When I plug in the phone without going into any ipod menus, the headunit will not detect the ipod.
But controlling the pause, play, stop, next and back all work but the display on the headunit doesn't show any titles or track names etc.

When I, for example, go into my podcast playlist and press play, pause it, and connect the wire to the headunit, the headunit detects it just fine. Works like as if it was a regular ipod with all features working.

This is how it works.. Actually I have Pioneer DEH-P4000UB installed. Under the USB-IPOD source selection, go down to it's function setup, there is a IPOD:AUDIO mode. If you turn the mode to Head unit, the head unit will take control of your ID3 info, and you browse from there. (The Ipod will be disabled on the screen and give you a "Pioneer logo" with a white background).. However, you can still fast forward, backward, play..etc.. on the ipod.

If you switch this mode to Ipod-usb, it will allow ipod to take full control of everything, and you can use head unit for basic features. But manual says it only works under "2nd generation of Ipod nano".. which is what I have.. it worked!!

I just broke my iphone, and I am awaiting for the 2nd generation of Iphone to come up in June, so i haven't tested anything on the iphone just yet.

gray67

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
anyone have an update on this head unit's compatibility with an iPhone 3g? I'm considering it to replace my factory head unit. the crutchfield folks seem to think this will work with the 3g but I'd prefer someone in the field confirming this before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

method84

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2008
anyone have an update on this head unit's compatibility with an iPhone 3g? I'm considering it to replace my factory head unit. the crutchfield folks seem to think this will work with the 3g but I'd prefer someone in the field confirming this before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

I just purchased the DEH-70000BT and im still in the process of putting it in. 2 days of rain in the Northeast doesnt help:rolleyes: but Ive read from several sources that this unit does work with the iphone..music,bluetooth,charging, etc. Not sure about your model though. Does that model have a USB or IP-BUS connection?

gray67

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
I just purchased the DEH-70000BT and im still in the process of putting it in. 2 days of rain in the Northeast doesnt help:rolleyes: but Ive read from several sources that this unit does work with the iphone..music,bluetooth,charging, etc. Not sure about your model though. Does that model have a USB or IP-BUS connection?

Well, from the Crutchfield description, it uses an IPBUS connection that basically is a USB input for AUX2. I was considering the DEH-8000BT but I didn't want to spend that much. The Crutchfield guys said that the Pioneers with the built in iPod controls and the Pioneer cable seem to work with the 3G iPHone.

steve1973

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Pioneer Head-unit 3G iPhone fully functions

I purchased the Pioneer DEH P700BT recently-thumbs up.
The iPhone is powered via USB from the unit.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P700BT

It charges and plays flawlessly. As an added bonus the bluetooth is great even when driving with windows wide open.

THe headunit itself has a bit of a learning curve, that is the operation of the units functions are less than intuitive compared to Apple products.
I hope this helps.

-Steve

jeffreyfort

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
Findlay, Ohio
Steve,

I bought and installed the same unit, but I haven't used the iPhone and BT yet. Please describe how the Pioneer unit and the iPhone, via BT, work together. E.g., if I am listening to the radio tuner and a call is received on iPhone, what happens? If I want to make a call, do you reach for iPhone or use "telephone" on the Pioneer?

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
I purchased the Pioneer DEH P700BT recently-thumbs up.
The iPhone is powered via USB from the unit.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P700BT

It charges and plays flawlessly. As an added bonus the bluetooth is great even when driving with windows wide open.

THe headunit itself has a bit of a learning curve, that is the operation of the units functions are less than intuitive compared to Apple products.
I hope this helps.

-Steve

Glad to see someone else has this unit. I'm pretty happy with it, but I've noticed a few quirks. Occasionally, when I connect it, it tells me I have "No Songs." I have to disconnect it, manually go in and start a song, then re-connect it and its fine.

Other problem (seems to have been partially solved with 2.0 firmware) is that if someone calls me (doesn't happen if I call out) when I hang up, it wouldn't go back to the music and I'd have to physically restart the phone to get it going again. With 2.0, it goes right back to the music... but I can't actually control it anymore. No next track, no fast forward, etc. If I undock it and redock it, the problem goes away.

Too bad Pioneer never issues software updates even though the thing has the capability to receive them.

steve1973

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Pioneer DEH P700 BT

Hello all,
Like I said the unit has some quirks about it. When the phone rings you should press the multifunction button inwards to answer the call. When the call is over you hit the on hook button and this ususally but not always resumes the music.
If it doesn't go back to music try the on hook button again until you see USB-iPod. If this fails, as you know you need to press the source button to select the iPhone via USB again.

-Steve

Foxnolds

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Success with Pioneer DEH-P65BT

I just bought a Pioneer DEH-P65BT and I had Pairing issues with my iPhone 3G yet my Sony TMR-B9iP A2DP transmitter would instantly pair without any intervention.

I managed to solve the iPhone 3G problem by Registering Phone to a Blank "NO DATA" slot of P2 or P3, NOT P1 which is manual only. :mad:
Go TELEPHONE -> FUNCTION -> Press Center -> Rotate to SET PHONE -> Push UP or DOWN for "P2 NO DATA" -> Press Center for "REG COMPLETED". :thumbup:

With Pioneer TELEPHONE FUNCTION "AUTO CONNECT: ON" my iPhone 3G always connects to my Pioneer Deck as soon as it has power and my iPhone is in Bluetooth range. I soon see my Signal strength and Battery level show on Ignition On or Accessory Power on, even if the Pioneer Deck is set for Tuner Audio Source etc! :cool:
If the Pioneer was last left in BT AUDIO mode and I have my Sony TMR-BT8iP adapter in, the iPhone 3G releases Pause and plays current Podcast or Song - whatever mode the iPhone itself, was last left in.
From the Pioneer Deck or Remote, I can choose Next Song, Previous Song etc using the MULTI-Control Right or Left nudges.

I also found the Kensington 4-IN-1 iPod 12v adapter excellent as the USB iPod cable is a piggy-back pass-through that allows me to Connect the Sony TMR-BT8iP A2DP adapter into the charging cable at the same time. I can the charge my iPhone 3G and also transmit Bluetooth A2DP to the Pioneer Deck on longer trips. Note, the Kensington 4-IN-1 12v Charger cable works with iTunes (v8.0.1 at least) doing all the normal Sync stuff as well - Not just power-charging via USB! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.