stać/stawać/stanąć

• Could somebody please explain the difference between those three words?
    Thank you
    Hi,

stać implies that you’re in the middle of doing something, i.e. standing: Stoi na werandzie. He is standing on the porch. -- Está (de pie) en el porche., Znak stoi na poboczu. – The sign stands on the shoulder.-- La siñal está en el arcél.

stawać implies that you regularly stand somewhere, for instance: Zawsze stawał na początku. – He used to stand at the front. – Solía estar en el frente.
    stanąć – implies that you started standing: Stanąłeś mi na paleca. – You’ve stood on my toe. – Me has pisado.

There are, of course, many shades of meanings, so you'll be best off if you give us some context and sentences in which you found the verbs.

Hi,
    stać implies that you’re in the middle of doing something, i.e. standing: Stoi na werandzie. He is standing on the porch. -- Está (de pie) en el porche., Znak stoi na poboczu. – The sign stands on the shoulder.-- La siñal está en el arcél.
    Not quite so (as also evidenced by the examples):
    stać is an imperfective verb (not a progressive one), and describes an action that usually is lasting or permanent: Pomnik Kopernika stoi na placu, żołnierz stoi na warcie. Stać is actually more a state than an action.
    stawać implies that you regularly stand somewhere, for instance: Zawsze stawał na początku. – He used to stand at the front. – Solía estar en el frente..
    I would modify this:
    Stawać has a form of a typical imperfective verb, but in most instances it is a perfective verb, a special subgroup of perfective verbs: repetitive verbs that describe an action done repetitively, or usually. Translation: usually to stop (not stand) repeatedly or to take standing position (a change of state) as a habit.

In certain contexts the verb may, however, take an imperfective meaning:
    'Samochód właśnie stawał' - 'The car was slowing down to stop'.

stanąć – implies that you started standing: Stanąłeś mi na paleca. – You’ve trampled on my toe. – Me has pisado.
    Stanąć means either to stop a movement or to change to a standing position, or to take a position at a certain place (stanął z przodu - he took place in the front. This is also a perfective verb, and denotes a single completed action.

Not quite so (as also evidenced by the examples):
    stać is an imperfective verb (not a progressive one), and describes an action that usually is lasting or permanent: Pomnik Kopernika stoi na placu, żołnierz stoi na warcie. Stać is actually more a state than an action.
    I agree but as usual you need context to decide what it really means.

I would modify this:
    Stawać has a form of a typical imperfective verb, but in most instances it is a perfective verb, a special subgroup of perfective verbs: repetitive verbs that describe an action done repetitively, or usually. Translation: usually to stop (not stand) repeatedly or to take standing position (a change of state) as a habit.

In certain contexts the verb may, however, take an imperfective meaning:
    'Samochód właśnie stawał' - 'The car was slowing down to stop'.
    I am not sure about this perfective classification of 'stawać'. Do we really know that the action was acomplished? Do the iterative verbs belong by definition to perfective verbs? Or am I missing something?
    Stanął na palcach. -- perfective
    Stał na palcach. -- imperfective
    Stawał na palcach. -- iterative

The verbs 'stand' can also mean to 'stop' in English. Cf. also 'bring something to a standstill'. Another example:
    "stad by the anchor"

Thomas1 said:
    stanąć – implies that you started standing: Stanąłeś mi na palca. – You’ve trampled on my toe. – Me has pisado.
    Stanąć means either to stop a movement or to change to a standing position, or to take a position at a certain place (stanął z przodu - he took place in the front. This is also a perfective verb, and denotes a single completed action.
    Stand can also be used in the meaning the Polish word is used, i.e. to locate your foot on something.

Back