Corsair Community

Memtest errors - please help debug

bhaal07

Does anyone know what these errors may indicate? I used the right timing/voltage specified by the RAM and got these errors (see attached). I got some new RAM and got the same errors... does this mean the memory is definitely not the issue? If so, what could it be (... motherboard or...? :(: )?

Thank you for your help in advance

P1000337s2.thumb.JPG.6e28f9fbfe35f978d66762b5835e321d.JPG

Does anyone know what these errors may indicate? I used the right timing/voltage specified by the RAM and got these errors (see attached). I got some new RAM and got the same errors... does this mean the memory is definitely not the issue? If so, what could it be (... motherboard or...? :(: )?

Thank you for your help in advance

Hi bhaal07

Test Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX memory modual separateky to se if one ove them is defect.

bhaal07, Is this a new kit? And did this just start happening?

I got some new RAM and got the same errors... does this mean the memory is definitely not the issue? If so, what could it be (... motherboard or...? )?

Is this also Corsair memory and if so what version are both kits?

Thanks for your replies, I had forgot I had both sets in that time, now I'm doing more thorough tests... :o:

I'll post more info after they're done... :shootme: I suppose I was being too lazy, but have moved the comp so it's easier to access and borrowed a laptop :p:

*edit*

So, there are two sets of RAM, one corsair that is several years old and one Kingston that is brand new... now WTF :confused: I got the latest version of memtest and no errors... :!:

I tested all the slots with only one stick at a time. Do I need to test every stick in every slot and run for several hours for multiple passes or?

Previously I had tested the corsair RAM set in slots 1,3 and 2,4 - both gave errors, as did the new RAM.

I ran memtest from a usb stick instead of a cd this time as well, would that make a difference?

My computer hangs/freezes fairly often lately and have been trying to figure out the cause. If it isn't the RAM... any suggestions of what to do next? Thank you in advance!

slot1_corsair_A.thumb.JPG.df5b429a28c01dd567657338b6b86e97.JPG

slot2_corsair_B.thumb.JPG.acc60c5253856427dd2ccccac3ed5a5d.JPG

slot3_king_A.thumb.JPG.b8b91357a6634d91707e6af1b4e44bf8.JPG

slot4_king_B.thumb.JPG.f0595f4556cb376ccdde16bb91b15d4c.JPG

ok... :brick:

Previously, I had tested the corsair sticks in all slots, and the Kingston only as a pair - always errors.

Now every test says no errors and 4 passes with all four sticks in...

The only issue in the last four years was a HDD that got corrupted, I managed to get most of the data off it but wanted to run a HDD diagnostic tool from Hiren's Boot CD and the RAM drive kept failing (a few months ago).

My system freezes for at least 30+ sec at a time and clicking anything won't do anything, nor ctrl-alt-del.

Should I be asking for assistance in a different forum if it's not the RAM, any ideas :question:

*edit* oh, also a video card failed

1497484643_slot1_c-Bslot3c-A.thumb.JPG.4b73d5b2a3c567b85786a9ce9438ba0a.JPG

1649106518_slot2_k-Bslot4k-A.thumb.JPG.35a8a9aa16bcb10108c8dae5bf467af9.JPG

21119058_s1_k-As2_c-As3_k-Bs4_c-B.thumb.JPG.bfdbf5caec9359c16d1101689a7f4c44.JPG

ok...

Previously, I had tested the corsair sticks in all slots, and the Kingston only as a pair - always errors.

Now every test says no errors and 4 passes with all four sticks in...

Well, mixing memory can actually be the cause of your problems. It's not a practice Corsair recommends or supports...even if they are the same part number. There is just no way to predict or tell if any two random kits will play nice with each other.

But since they all pass memtest and your still having the freezes, there may be nothing you could do to get them stable.

What you could do is try adding .2v to your NB voltage and see if that doesn't help you any.Sometimes a boost in memory controller voltage will often cure this type of problem.

sorry, I probably wasn't clear .... me: :eyebuldge

The issues were before I got the new RAM. I only got a new set because I initially got errors with Memtest86+, which I ran several times on the corsair set. Why would the failing address and bad address fields be all zeros (first post pic)? If I remember correctly I saw most of the screenshots I saw had non-zero errors in those fields...

Thank you for the tip of not combining sets, saw a few posts about it in these forums after you mentioned it, although both sets have the same timing/voltage settings (I know, still not recommended, probably will use each set separately for a while to compare) - I will try to boost the NB voltage also. Haven't been on this computer that much in the past few days, but it looks like I'm back to square one if that doesn't work. Really annoying that I can't reproduce the fault on demand, might be easier to troubleshoot. Off to go :bomb:

Archived